Set Design Project #3

Student Assignment: Design your own set by using Google SketchUp

Objective: By using Google SketchUp, students will be able to design an accurate set for the play of their choice.

Instructions:
1. Choose one of the plays that we have read this year and draw a basic outline of your set design.
2. Use Google SketchUp and recreate a 3D model of your design.
3. The set must be more complex than a couple simple platforms, it must reflect what the play needs for a set.
4. Color and design set by using the painting options in the software.
5. If you need help, use GoogleSketchUp Help first and then come to me if you were not able to figure out the problem

Grading:
The set will be graded on:
Creativity (10pts)--recreating the drawn set to the 3D model
Realism (10pts) --Is the set realistic and can be recreated on a real stage?
Spacing(10 pts) --Is it spaced properly for a stage, remember to not overcrowd nor minimal.
Overall Concept (20pts)--Does it work for the chosen play? Why did you design it this way?
Total=50pts





Night of January 16th: "




3D model by nicoandrea
Set design for the play
"

I had a fun time figuring out Google SketchUp, in fact its a program I've always wanted to learn and now I had the excuse. For me the assignment seems realistic for a theatre classroom, granted if computers are available. Students, as well as teachers are able to learn a new software and learn how to design a set. It can be a difficult assignment with the technology, but if students are willing to try, they will learn a skill that can help them in other aspects of life. GoogleSketchUp isn't just for theatre set designs, but it can be used for architecture, landscaping, interior design, etc. Overall, I believe I've found a program I will use in my future classrooms as a theatre teacher, as well as in my own set designs.
0 Responses

    About Me

    I am inspiring to be a theatre teacher in secondary education. Currently I am enrolled in a class that is teaching me to blog and use all those computer/internet programs that I usually avoid. So far it seems to be fun!

    Followers